We deliver our services to women and their children in safe, women only spaces. Where we work with male victims, we follow the best practice guidelines based on sound research and deliver this in safe separate venues to our women only spaces.
(Recommendations from Respect, the largest national membership and accrediting organisation for work with male victims).
Research shows that our approach works as a therapeutic model for women and their children as follows:
- Women are more comfortable to express themselves and articulate their needs.
- Women are less constrained or intimidated when men are not present.
- Women are able to ‘take stock’ before going out into mainstream, mixed spaces.
- Women-only leadership ensures women’s needs are met.
- Women-only services deliver better outcomes than mixed spaces.
- Women-only spaces are key to trauma-informed practice for women who have suffered any form of male violence or abuse.
(Women’s Resource Centre report/research, 2006)